Jesus reframes the ten commandments from a list of external rules into matters of the heart. He taught that true righteousness is not merely about avoiding bad actions, but about harboring pure thoughts and actively demonstrating love for God and humanity. During the months of July, August and September, we're considering the Ten Commandments Through the Eyes of Jesus, focusing on the following topics:
- July 5 - The Ultimate Summary
- July 12 - No Other Gods
- July 19- No Idols
- July 26 - Do Not Take God's Name in Vain
- August 9 - Keep the Sabbath Holy
- August 16 - Honor Your Father and Mother
- August 23 - Do Not Murder
- August 30 - Do Not Commit Adultery
- September 6 - Do Not Steal
- September 13 - Do Not Bear False Witness
- September 20 - Do Not Covet
On Sunday, August 30, we discussed the Seventh Commandment: Do Not Commit Adultery. [Exodus 20:14, NRSVUE] Below is the text and a video presentation of the sermon. You can stream the service by going to the Sligo Presbyterian Church YouTube Channel on Sundays at 10:00 a.m. (EDT). You can hear a podcast of the service at the Sligo Presbyterian Church YouTube Channel or the Sligo Presbyterian Spotify Page.
Well, here we are, the last Sunday in the month of August, which gives us the chance to look back and to look forward. Of course, as we look back to, let’s say, the Sunday after the fourth, most of y’all know we’ve been in this sermon series entitled The Ten Commandments Through the Eyes of Jesus. And during that time, after considering how Jesus interpreted the whole Jewish law, we talked about the first six commandments themselves. For example, we looked at how we should have no other gods nor should we worship idols. We shouldn’t take God’s name in vain and we should keep the Sabbath holy. And over the last couple of weeks, we’ve talked about honoring your father and mother and not committing murder. Now, if you’re interested in hearing any of these sermons, you can find them on our blog, Facebook page and Youtube channel. Now that’s the kind of thing we’re going to see when we look back.
But like I said, since we’re a couple of days away from September, well, today gives us the chance to look forward, you know, into the Fall. And I’ve got to tell you, for me, moving into this time of year has always meant sort of entering a different world. For example, as the weather begins to change it’s about pulling out jackets and coats for the first time in six months, and hoping you didn’t forget about the sliced cucumbers you had in one of the pockets when you hung it up last April. Now that’s different. And because football season is about to start, the Fall is about trying to figure out how to write a sermon while watching the game without getting distracted, of course, from the game. Now that’s different. And since we live in a world where people put out decorations that are both elaborate and early, the Fall is about going past tomb stones and cobwebs as I walk Coco Chanel around 4:30 every morning. Now that’s certainly different. You see, these are just a few of the differences we’re about to see in the next couple of weeks.
And you know, in keeping with this different kind of season, I did something really different at the end of the sermon last week. As a matter of fact, it’s something I’ve only done a handful of times during my five years I’ve been here. You see, after I finished up the sermon about “Do not murder,” [Exodus 20:23, CEV] I introduced this week’s command with this slide: You shall not commit adultery. [Exodus 20:14, NRSVUE] And I’ll tell you, right there was the difference I’m talking about. You see, for several reasons we can talk about later, I nearly always use the Contemporary English Version, the CEV, when reading and presenting scripture in the sermon. But last week, when I was looking at the Seventh Commandment, I didn’t. Instead, I used the New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition, the NRSVUE. And the reason I did that involved how the CEV translated this particular verse from Exodus. You see, according to the Contemporary English Version, the commandment reads: Be faithful in marriage. [Exodus 20:24, CEV] And in my opinion, this positive spin really isn’t an accurate translation of the Hebrew.
But having said that, based on how Jesus saw this commandment, I think both are pretty accurate and definitely appropriate. In other words, in his eyes, this commandment was about both what we shouldn’t and what we should do. And that’s what we’re going to talk about this morning. You see, we’re going to look at how we can obey the Seventh Commandment, first, by not committing adultery and then, second, by being intentionally faithful in marriage. And even though the focus will be on the relationship between husband and wife, I think folks who aren’t married can apply the ideas we find in the Bible to other situations and relationships.
And like I said a minute ago, we’re going to start by focusing on the commandment as translated in the New Revised Standard: You shall not commit adultery. [Exodus 20:14, NRSVUE] And you know, I think Jesus was crystal clear about what this meant to him, when he said this during the Sermon on the Mount:
"You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go into hell." [Matthew 5:27-30, NRSVUE]
Now that’s what Jesus said, adultery was about lust, and when I say “lust,” I’m talking about those passions and emotions which lead us to do some things that are contrary to what God wants us to do. Now for Jesus, that’s adultery, and just think about what it means. In a very real sense, he radicalized the word, moving it from an external act to an internal feeling. Of course, I don’t think that’s something everyone wants to hear. I mean, there are times when it’s easier and more comfortable to stick with the outside, rather than the inside, isn’t it? For example, years ago, I women came to talk with me about some very serious issues she was having in her marriage. She told me that for several months, her husband had become cold and distant. And one day, she found out why. He’d developed a pretty passionate and very explicit relationship with a woman online, one in which they were making promises to one another and planning a future together. Now understand, according to the wife, they’d never actually met and yet all this was going on. And I remember, after telling me all this, she said, “Well, at least he hasn’t committed adultery.” You see, for her, adultery came down to a very specific physical act, and that gave her some comfort in her very dysfunctional marriage. But I’ll tell you, for Jesus, I don’t think that was the case at all. You see, for him, adultery was internal, involving the human heart and mind. It was shown by that intense and unchecked and forbidden passion and desire that goes against God’s design. And even though, in the case of adultery, it’s directed toward another person, according to Jesus, we can also lust for money and for power and for anything else that we want to possess and control, without any concern for God or anyone else.Now that’s what lust is. And for Jesus, when it’s focused on a person, it’s adultery.
And if we want to obey the Seventh commandment, that’s why I believe it’s so important for us to control our lust. Now notice I said “control” not “eliminate,” because since lust is emotional, frankly I think controlling it is probably the best we can do. But I honestly think we can control it. And we can do it by making three decisions before lust causes all kinds of damage. You see, first, we can control it by deciding to avoid certain situations that might trigger lust. In other words, like an alcoholic probably shouldn’t spend his time hanging out in bars, we can choose not to put ourselves in situations that we know might get us into trouble. As Paul wrote to the Romans, “Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.” [Romans 13:14, NRSVUE] That’s one.
And second, when we experience those lustful feelings, regardless of the situation, we can decide to flee rather than to fight. I mean, let’s get real, that was the reason Joseph ran away from Potiphar’s wife and Paul told Timothy to “Shun youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.” [2 Timothy 2:22, NRSVUE] We’re not going to score any points or become spiritually strong by choosing to remain in dangerous situations. Dah. Lust will win nearly every time. We need to run away. That’s two.
And third, we can decide to seek accountability. In other words, when lust is rearing it’s ugly head, we can turn to God and maybe a Christian brother or sister who can help us stay on the straight and narrow. Demons love the dark, because they lose their power in the light, and so does lust. And I think that’s why James wrote, “Therefore confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.” [James 5:16, NRSVUE] I’ll tell you, this we can do. And when we do, when we take steps to control our lust, I think we’ll be obeying the commandment: You shall not commit adultery. [Exodus 20:14, NRSVUE]
But remember, that’s just one translation of the command. I mean, according to the Contemporary English Version, the Seventh Commandment is Be faithful in marriage [Exodus 20:24, CEV]; therefore, obeying may involve doing more than just controlling lust. And I’ll tell you, I think we can get a pretty good idea about what is by listening to what Jesus had to say when asked about divorce:
Some Pharisees wanted to test Jesus. So they came up to him and asked if it was right for a man to divorce his wife. Jesus asked them, “What does the Law of Moses say about this?”
They answered, “Moses allows a man to write out divorce papers and send his wife away.”
Jesus replied, “Moses gave you this law because you are so heartless. But in the beginning God made a man and a woman. That’s why a man leaves his father and mother and gets married. He becomes like one person with his wife. Then they are no longer two people, but one. And no one should separate a couple that God has joined together.” [Mark 10:2-9, CEV]
Now that’s what he said. You see, for Jesus, marriage wasn’t about a couple living two separate lives. Instead, it was about the two becoming one. In other words, it was designed by God to be a life-long covenant, in which a sense of spiritual and physical “oneness” can grow and mature. And for him, this union superseded any kind of parental bond and shouldn’t be undone by human choices. You see, for Jesus, in spite of what Moses said, divorce was never part of God’s original blueprint, not for us. And I’ll tell you, I think that’s something important to recognize before we get married. As a matter of fact, that’s reason why, in a traditional wedding service, the vows go something like this:
I take you to be my wedded husband or wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge myself truly with all my heart.
You see, for Jesus, this is what marriage is all about. Therefore, if we’re serious about the Seventh Commandment, I believe controlling lust is, at best, only half of it. I think we also need to strengthen our marriages actively and intentionally. And in my opinion, that’s more than possible when we decide to do these three things. First, married folks can decide to communicate with grace and humility. I mean, we can support and encourage one another. And we can choose to resolve rather than escalate so that problems don’t fester and grow. And let’s face it, the writer of the Proverbs knew what he was talking about when he said, “A kind answer soothes angry feelings, but harsh words stir them up.” [Proverbs 15:1, CEV] That’s one.
And second we can also decide to guard intimacy and commitment. I mean, it’s really easy to be distracted by all the stuff happening around us. And as every parent knows, kids don’t make it easier. But maybe “that’s why a man leaves his father and mother and gets married.” [Mark 10:7, CEV] You see, when we get married, we enter something that’s brand new. And I believe the more we prioritize that relationship and make sure it rests on mutual submission and intentional love, the stronger it’ll become. And that’s two.
And finally, we can also decide to put God at the center. Now before I say anything else, let me be clear. I’m not suggesting that a strong marriage is impossible without shared faith, that would be stupid and wrong. Still, I believe spiritual strength can help couples withstand trials. And praying together can help couples make decisions. And sharing moral standards and ethical values and spiritual goals can make moving into the future a whole lot easier. And maybe that’s why Paul wrote, “Stay away from people who are not followers of the Lord! Can someone who is good get along with someone who is evil? Are light and darkness the same?” [2 Corinthians 6:14, CEV] You see, when we decide to strengthen our marriages, I think we’ll also be obeying the Seventh Commandment: Be faithful in marriage [Exodus 20:24, CEV].
Now, having said all that, I’ve got to tell you, I’m a little uncomfortable using two different translations in the same sermon, so don’t expect it in the future. Frankly, I don’t want to be tempted to jump from translation to translation so I can find the right words to reinforce what I already believe or want to say. That’s not fair to y’all. And since the time is coming when I’ll be held accountable for what I preached and taught, well, it may not be good for me either.
But I’ll tell you, I think today is really the exception to the rule, because although different, I believe both translations reflect what Jesus actually taught. In other words, I think we can say, You shall not commit adultery [Exodus 20:14, NRSVUE], which challenges us to control our lust. But I also think it’s right for us to say that God commands us to “be faithful in marriage" [Exodus 20:14, CEV], which means we really need to strengthen our marriages. For me, both reflect what it means to obey the Seventh Commandment.
And now that adultery is in the books, next week we’ll talk about commandment number eight:
Do not steal. [Exodus 20:15, CEV]
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment