In Second Corinthians, the Apostle Paul explored how God’s power works best in our weakness and how God offers comfort when we’re frustrated and discouraged. He also challenged the Corinthians to give for the sake of others and to share the message of reconciliation. We’re following the outline below:
- Session 1 - Paul’s Greeting (1:1-11)
- Session 2 - A Change in Plans (1:12 – 2:4)
- Session 3 - Forgiveness (2:5-17)
- Session 4 - God’s New Agreement (3:1-18)
- Session 5 - Treasure in Clay Jars (4:1-15)
- Session 5 - Hope (4:16 – 5:10)
- Session 6 - Bringing People to God (5:11 – 6:13)
- Session 7 - The Temple of God (6:14 – 7:1)
- Session 8 - Paul’s Joy (7:2-16)
- Session 9 - Rules for Giving (8:1-24)
- Session 10 - Money for God’s (9:1-24)
- Session 11 - A Major Shift in Tone (10:1-18)
- Session 12 - False Prophets (11:1-15)
- Session 13 - Suffering (11:16 – 12:13)
- Session 14 - A Coming Visit (12:14 – 13:4)
- Session 15 - In Conclusion (13:5-13)
During our second session, we discussed the reason for Paul not visiting Corinth (2 Corinthians 1:12 – 2:4). The discussion and passage follow.
2 Corinthians 1:12-2:4 [New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition]
Indeed, this is our boast, the testimony of our conscience: we have behaved in the world with holiness and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God—and all the more toward you. For we write you nothing other than what you can read and also understand; I hope you will understand until the end— as you have already understood us in part—that on the day of the Lord Jesus we are your boast even as you are our boast.
Since I was sure of this, I wanted to come to you first, so that you might have a double favor; I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on to Judea. Was I vacillating when I wanted to do this? Do I make my plans according to ordinary human standards, ready to say “Yes, yes” and “No, no” at the same time? As surely as God is faithful, our word to you is not “Yes and No.” For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not “Yes and No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.” For in him every one of God’s promises is a “Yes.” For this reason it is through him that we say the “Amen,” to the glory of God. But it is God who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us, who has put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a down payment.
But I call on God as witness against me: it was to spare you that I did not come again to Corinth. I do not mean to imply that we lord it over your faith; rather, we are workers with you for your joy because you stand firm in faith. So I made up my mind not to make another visit that causes you grief. For if I cause you grief, who is there to make me glad but the one whom I have grieved? And I wrote as I did, so that when I came, I might not suffer grief from those who should have made me rejoice, for I am confident about all of you, that my joy would be the joy of all of you. For I wrote you out of much distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you grief but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment